TrafData has come out with another interesting App for the traffic engineering community. It looks like an easy way to move through the FHWA's Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Below is a video from Gary Shoup about the new product. At $1.99 it's a steal. This drill down method on an iPhone or iPad is so much easier than wading through pdfs.
I don't think I'm going to buy it though. Minnesota has it's own version of the MUTCD and I'd be leary of grabbing one of the few items that isn't consistent with the Federal version.
There are a lot of resources out there that would be very handy to have on my iPhone. Here are a few I can think of:
- MnDOT's Temporary Traffic Control Zones Layouts Field Manual
- The Highway Capacity Manual
- MnDOT's Traffic Safety Handbook
- Actually – all standard specifications, standard plates, and design manuals.
And a couple of tools that would be useful:
- A type of quick screen menu for building and then conducting surveys.
- I don't think the iPhone's gps is accurate enough, but I'd love to be able to do accurate travel time runs with it.